Saturday, February 2, 2008

Little Pageant Queens

I saw little girls on the TV last night
all dressed up like whores.
Mommies pimping them shamelessly;
Daddies funding it proudly.
I saw little girls who were overindulged and undereducated
and Mommies who were vicarious onlookers,
Or impudent facilitators
of a crime against girls, women, society.
I saw little girls on the TV last night
wearing more makeup than clothes.
I saw children act like livestock at the local 4-H
And it made me sad.

Angela Schleicher © 2008

2 comments:

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

So important!

Wish someone would listen.

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

I have a new poem up on Unseen but not unfelt, a blog for the visually impaired who can\'t see pictures.

http://ubnu.blogspot.com/

(My poem is an early draft and I've since revised it but not reposed it.)

If you would like to join or send stuff to be posted there, let me know. (It's not my blog but Mike is looking for contributors).